I owe you a massive apology for being away for so long.
Since August, I’ve been busy studying for my TESOL exams and preparing for a move…We’re temporarily moving to Auckland, New Zealand for the whole of 2015 !
It’s been a longtime coming as we’ve been preparing for this for years but it’s crunch time now. Suddenly, what seemed like many moons away became just a few weeks! How does time pass so quickly? We were initially supposed to be in Boston but things did not work out and the plan got changed just a few months back that we’ll be moving to Auckland instead. I would have been happy with either destination.
So now, half my brain is on study mode preparing for my TESOL exams and the other half is on house hunting mode, trawling rental ads. All this in the midst of putting up our house for rent and packing. But I won’t complain. That would be such an ungrateful thing to do as I really am very thankful for the wonderful opportunity that the universe has bestowed upon us. Amazing mountains, fjords, culture, an unspoilt environment and fantastic local produce- I’ll take it all despite my resentment for packing AND the unpacking.
And so, that was the big news. In other words, you could look forward to recipe posts from Auckland, starting in February 2015. How exciting!
I made this Nutella Cake and photographed it in August! It’s been more than two months of procrastinating and I’ve finally managed to type the recipe.
It’s a very easy cake to make and it goes down even easier. I’ve given to my students, colleagues and friends and I’ve gotten nothing but oohs and aahs and “Will you please make this again?” Thanks Nigella. Your recipes are always amazing.
Nigella's Nutella Cake
Slightly Adapted from:
Nigella Lawson, How to be a Domestic Goddess (Chatto & Windus, 2014)
For the cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 400g Nutella (or any Hazelnut-Choc spread)
- 1 tbsp Frangelico, Rum or water ( I used Dark Rum )
- 100g ground hazelnuts*
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
For the icing
- 100 g whole hazelnuts, toasted & cooled
- 125 ml double cream
- 1 tsp Frangelico/ Rum or water
- 125 dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 23cm / 9 inch spring form tin, greased and lined with overhanging parchment to lift cake
180°C non-fan/ 160°C fan , pre-heated
1. Whisk egg whites and salt till soft peaks form.
2. In another bowl, beat Nutella and butter together until smooth.
3. Add Frangelico/Rum, egg yolks and ground hazelnuts to Nutella mixture.
4. Fold in cooled, melted dark chocolate.
5. Gently fold in beaten egg whites in 3-4 batches. This gives the cake it’s ‘lift’ so do not overmix.
6.Pour cake batter into prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake just starts to come away from the sides. Cool completely in tin. Do not remove the cake tin while cake is cooling as this cake is very fragile and it needs to cool and set.
7.For the delicious icing, heat some water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until it’s gently boiling and set a heatproof bowl over it. Add the cream, Frangelico/ Rum and chopped dark chocolate and stir from time to time until most of the chocolate is melted. Whisk mixture until it’s smooth and let it cool completely.
8. Unmould the cooled cake and spread some cooled icing on top. Decorate with the toasted whole hazelnuts.